Spring is in full bloom here in Florence, Italy. But on this day, we are reminded most of all of Jesus’ sacrificial love for us. Italy abounds with art that helps us ponder this magnificent truth. Enjoy!
“Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.” — Jesus, in John 15:13-14
“If we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.” — 1 John 1:7
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us…. For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.” John 1:14-17
May Jesus’ sacrificial love for you fill your heart with hope this Easter, as we celebrate His resurrection from the dead on Sunday. Buona Pasqua (Happy Easter) from Italy!
Guest Post by Daryl and Ceil Wilson
Daryl and Ceil Wilson serve part of each year with Cru’s Italian ministry, Agape Italia. Stationed in Florence, they connect U. S. Christian professors with Italian professors and students, most of whom think that no intellectual person would be a follower of Jesus.
In the U. S., Daryl and Ceil serve with Cru’s outreach to professors and grad students, Faculty Commons.
Want to know what God is doing through Cru in Italy? Sign up for an intimate look at ministry and a taste of the culture, October 1 – 8, 2022. Details and registration at Authentic Italy. Only eight places left. Hold your spot soon!
- Of course, today is Good Friday. We hope these images and verses are especially meaningful to you as you consider Christ’s sacrifice for us.
- Here’s a dramatic reading of the events of Good Friday from the book of John.
- Daryl and Ceil’s photos are:
- A bronze life-size crucifix by Donatello. Look for it in the Strozzi Museum in Florence, Italy.
- A life-size crucifix by Giotto. Chiesa di San Salvatore di Ognissanti is a Franciscan church in Florence, Italy.
- A relief by della Robbia. Visit the chapel of a Franciscan monastery, the Sanctuary of La Verna, in the province of Arezzo to see this masterpiece.
- April 15 also happens to be World Art Day “to promote the development, diffusion and enjoyment of art.”
Pin me, please